The Lab has no regular home in the week currently. We take opportunities occasionally to explore higher level topics, techniques, and concepts. Join the Lab facebook group to stay in the loop.
Lab dates in 2019 at EDAM, 303 east 8th ave:
- March 2, 3-4:30pm Versatility in partner dancing (see also the Solo Jazz workshops planned for that day, following the Lab). Register here.
- March 30, 5:30-7pm and 7:15-8:45pm Widening your Comfort Zone for Tempos & Competitions 101 (get ready for Lindy Bout XIII!). Register here.
- May 4, 3-4:30pm and 4:45-6:15pm Topics TBD
The Lab is the arena for play and exploration in your dancing. Once you've mastered the material in the Intermediate classes, and you've been social dancing long enough to know that there's more out there to discover, you're ready for the The Lab. This is where we experiment with techniques, patterns, and topics that don't fit neatly into any series. This arena is for you to develop and grow! Tell us us what you'd like to explore: we'll help you do it. Join the facebook group for discussion and topic requests. Past topics include:
- styling variations
- partner Charleston
- solo vintage Jazz
- challenging moves
- fast dancing (or slow dancing... in many ways more challenging!)
- other dance styles (with guest instructors, as appropriate)
- vintage jazz routines (such as The Big Apple and Tranky Doo)
- air steps
- role reversal - leading for follows and following for leads
- versatility: learning other styles of Vintage Jazz partner dancing
Other past topics: Choreography; Frankie's favourite moves; follows' focus; vintage blues and slow dancing; fast dancing; flashy figures; fancy footwork; Poise, Posture, and Pirouettes; Charleston variations; musicality in social dancing and Charleston; out-of-town guest instructors; solo jazz steps and routines (e.g., Tranky Do, the Stew); solo jazz in partner dancing; jams, competitions, and spotlights; role reversals and lead/follow swapping; swivels and styling; connection; moves development; lifts & jumps; swing-out clinics; moves creation; back-to-essentials, closed & close embrace Lindy hop (fast, not slow), Caribbean shim sham... and more!
Lab topics are always open for discussion ... send your requests! Join and comment in the Lab facebook group.