Wednesdays 7:30-9pm at EDAM, 303 East 8th Ave. Join the Lab facebook group to stay in the loop.
The Lab is the arena for play and exploration in your dancing. Once you've mastered the material in the Intermediate
classes, and you've been social dancing long enough to know that there's more out there to discover, you're ready for The Lab. This is where we experiment with techniques, patterns, and topics that don't fit neatly into any series. This arena is for you to develop and grow! Tell us us what you'd like to explore: we'll help you do it. Join the facebook group for discussion and topic requests.
January 29 - Fundamentals of fast dancing with Lucy & Eric: this is a single drop-in Lab for everyone, regardless of plans to attend the fast series in February. Work on your skills at dancing to faster tempos. Join for just this one or as prep for the series or to see if you feel up to the series.
- Choreography development: learn and practice creating your own choreography
- Solo Jazz - so many topics! The instructors are all abuzz with the freedom to explore and develop classes in Solo Jazz that are not centred around a vintage Jazz routine (Hello, Solo Jazz A, B, and C!). Phrasing, music, jamming, social elements to solo dancing, creativity, finding your voice, Original dancer inspirations, and more.
- Connection: improving your partner dynamics
- Spins, Turns, and integrating good technique into your dancing
- 20s Charleston to 60s Soul: different music; different movement
Past topics include: Choreography; Frankie's favourite moves; follows' focus; vintage blues and slow dancing; fast dancing; flashy figures; fancy footwork; Poise, Posture, and Pirouettes; Charleston variations; musicality in social dancing and Charleston; out-of-town guest instructors; solo jazz steps and routines (e.g., Tranky Do, the Stew); solo jazz in partner dancing; jams, competitions, and spotlights; role reversals and lead/follow swapping; swivels and styling; connection; moves development; lifts & jumps; swing-out clinics; moves creation; back-to-essentials, closed & close embrace Lindy hop (fast, not slow), Caribbean shim sham... and more!