Solo Jazz classes are for everyone. Beginner dancers should start with the Solo Jazz 1 classes before proceeding to the Solo Jazz 2 classes.
- $90 / $95 at the door
- $50 limited subsidized access available for low incomes
- All prices include GST
- Mask-wearing is encouraged, though not required, so please be considerate of others’ decision to mask or not, and be prepared to put on a mask as a courtesy to your dance partner if they request it.
- Solo Jazz & Movement students enjoy a discounted admission of $5 to the regular DJ'ed weekly dance, Rhythm City Strut.
- Solo Jazz 1 classes are on Mondays, 6:15-7:15pm, at EDAM Studio, 303 east 8th Ave.
- Solo Jazz 2 classes are on Wednesdays, 8:15-9:15pm at iDance Studio, 257 east 7th Ave.
In each series we will focus on four main themes:
- Body conscious movement: not just knowing your left from your right; knowing what a pulse is and whether you’re doing it and how much. What’s the difference between a kick and a shuffle? How do I dance big or small? How can I be better at spins? And lots more, all in the area of improving your ability to use your body and your awareness of what it's doing.
- Musical awareness and connection: what does this song feel like? Is it light/heavy/energetic/gentle? How strong is the rhythm? What’s the structure? Can I hear the individual instruments? How does it influence or inspire my movement?
- Basic Solo Jazz steps and patterns: Suzy Q, Camel Walk, Fall off a Log, Boogie Forward, Boogie Back, Charleston, Fish Tail, Shorty George, etc, etc. How to and variations.
- Choreographies: vintage commonly known choreos like the Shim Sham and Tranky Doo, as well as original combinations. Practice combining Solo Jazz steps and musical and rhythmic variations.
Solo Jazz 1: Intro to Solo Jazz movement and basic stepsNever taken a solo dance class before? This is for you. Get comfortable moving to music on your own, improve your coordination and your capacity for learning combinations. In the Solo Jazz 1 classes you will learn commonly known Vintage Jazz basic steps and simple combinations (as we put a few Jazz steps together). We will cover original Swing era routines loved and danced all over the world, and we'll explore how you can add basic Jazz steps to your partner dancing. Solo Jazz 1 is on Mondays at EDAM studio, 303 East 8th Avenue, 6:15-7:15pm. Upcoming Solo Jazz 1 classes:
- Solo Jazz 1: Basic Jazz Steps A - February 13 to March 20 (no class March 13)
- Solo Jazz 1: Basic Jazz Steps B - March 27 to May 1 (no class April 10)
- Solo Jazz 1: The Shim Sham - May 8 to June 5
Solo Jazz 2: Intermediate/Advanced Solo Jazz DanceNow that you know the basic steps, have developed some skills at learning and executing choreography, and have incorporated some Solo Jazz into your partner dancing, you're ready for more complex dance concepts and content. In these classes, we'll explore musical responsiveness, rhythm and style variations, challenging choreographies, and more. We'll dive into connecting with different styles of music, adjacent to Swing, such as earlier forms of Jazz, Soul, and Rhythm & Blues, and how those styles invite different kinds of movement.
Solo Jazz 2 is on Wednesdays at iDance Studio at 257 East 7th Ave, 8:15-9:15pm
Upcoming Solo Jazz 2 classes:
- February 8 to March 9 - Tranky Doo
- March 15 to April 12 - The Big Apple
- April 19 to March 17 - Choreography development
Solo Jazz 2 - The Big Apple
Solo Jazz C: The Big Apple and social Solo Jazz When you take a Swing dance lesson with Rhythm City, you’re sure to participate in [...]
Solo Jazz 1: Jazz Basics B
Learn basic Solo Jazz steps, along with fundamentals of movement: balance, rhythm, spinning, and how to get the groove in your body and express it in connection with the music.
Solo Jazz 2 - Developing Choreography
Solo Jazz 2 - D: Developing Choreography In this series we will explore the structure and dynamics of Swing Jazz music to create musically connected [...]
Solo Jazz 1: The Shim Sham
Learn the Shim Sham: a vintage Jazz dance performed by Swing dancers around the world. Beginner Solo Jazz dance fundamentals will be taught.
Pingback: Intermediate Lindy Hop - Rhythm City Productions